I love summer! I don’t have to wear a bulky coat, days are longer, and there’s more time to enjoy things I love like bonfires on the beach. It’s a perfect opportunity to slow down and enjoy what’s around us and recharge our batteries!
Here are some of the ways I rewire myself during the summer.
- Don’t work so hard, and try to leave work earlier than normal. The demands of our jobs can be overwhelming. There’s always so much to do. I work hard, but when summer comes around I cut back, put down the phone, and hit the outdoors. So use up those vacation days!
- Spend more quality time with my kids. It helps me balance the “mom” in working mom. When they’re out of school, it’s my turn to spend time having fun bonding with them.
- Get to the beach with my dogs, Romeo and Waldo. (It will be Waldo’s first time there!) Our family lives near the beach, but it doesn’t always mean I get there often. My dogs give me the excuse to get outside and appreciate the ocean.
- Take a yoga class outdoors. This is one of my favorite things to do! My yoga studio lost its space two years ago and they erected a tent on a vineyard. Now we do yoga al fresco! It’s incredibly peaceful staring out at the landscape in tree pose with a cool breeze hitting your face.
- Go paddle boarding. I tried it a few years back and fell in love with it. My husband bought me a board of my own for my birthday, and I can’t wait to hit the water—just my board and me. It’s meditation on the water.
- Take time to star gaze. I’m totally hooked! If you live in a metropolitan area like I do, where the stars are difficult to see because of skyscrapers and ambient light, the next time you’re out of the city, look up at the stars. They will amaze you and remind you of your place in the vastness of the universe. You might find a shooting star you can wish on!
- Take lots of walks. In the city or country, I’m a walker. I love the way I feel wandering aimlessly, happy to be outdoors.
- Catch up with friends. It seems summer is the best time for my friends to get away from their jobs, so for me it’s been a great time to reconnect.
- Do something unexpected. I can’t tell you what that is, but I always leave room for the unexpected. You never know what fun there is to be had!
I would love to hear some of the ways you rewire yourself for summer.