Symbolically, the first 12 days of the year set the intention for the remaining 11 months. Numerically, the coming year, 2015, adds up to 8, the number that represents success. So get off to a good start and let 2015 be your best year ever!
The key is to set clear intentions and prime yourself for wild success. Try the tips below to get started and keep on track. Remember, only 8 percent of people who make resolutions actually achieve them!
1. Clear out the clutter: In China you “sweep out the old,” in Italy you throw things away (literally, out the window!), and in Bali you wash all sacred objects in the rivers.
2. Wear red: On New Year’s Day, wearing red, especially new red underwear, is said to bring love for the year.
3. Wear yellow: It is said that wearing yellow on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day brings happiness and wealth for the year.
4. Eat “good luck” food: Here are some foods that are considered lucky when eaten on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day: 12 grapes (eaten at midnight), black-eyed peas, fish, long noodles, round fruit, pomegranates, cornbread.
5. Create a 2015 altar: Dedicate a space and fill it with objects that hold the inspirations you desire for the year: a heart charm for love, a hundred-dollar bill for prosperity, a toy for fun, colored pencils for creative expression.
6. Write down your dreams: In Japan the first dream of the year is said to show the way for the whole year. Keep a pad of paper next to your bed and write down anything you remember before you get up in the morning.
7. Shift from doing to being: Spend 5-20 minutes in prayer and meditation to connect you to spirit.
8. Be happy: Create a cheery playlist and dance to at least one song a day. This boosts levels of serotonin and oxytocin—two of the “happy” chemicals—in the brain.
9. Partner with the universe: Use this prayer in the morning:
Mother Father God
Release to me all that is mine by divine right under grace
And show me clearly what I must do.
10. Give yourself time: Give yourself quality time alone to think, dream, rejuvenate, and relax. Put yourself in your calendar.
11. Unplug: Take a digital detox at least once a week to hear the quiet wisdom inside of you.
12. Do something out of your comfort zone: Reach out to a new friend, take a dance lesson, write a poem, sign up for an improv class.
If you are ready to dream big, join me at my workshop, VISION 2015: DARE TO DREAM. We will be performing sacred rituals to let go of 2014 in a powerful fire ceremony, meditating and doing experiential exercises to rewire you to your highest creativity, and then making personal vision collages, which will reflect your dreams and goals for the New Year. Visit www.barbarabiziou.com/vision 2015 for details.