When we think about change most of get overwhelmed—the mere thought of “Where do I start” causes us to freak out and run for the hills. Leaving the comfort of our misery for un-navigated, unfamiliar territory is enough to scare the bejesus out of anyone enough to keep us locked into the sadness of what we know our life to be. So where do you start?
The good news is you don’t have to start at the beginning, regardless of your age. My philosophy is, you’ve already lived a number of years, and your life experiences have brought you to where you are today. I say embrace your past! You’ve learned from it already. Take those life lessons and apply them into your life today. Make them work for you in a different way. Use your past to your advantage and move on!
At Rewire Me, we help you unlock your mind to allow yourself the freedom to explore the possibilities of how to bring more happiness, better relationships, and enhanced wellness into your life. Through the lens of neuroscience, Rewire Me can support you on your path to wellness by helping you gain a deeper understanding of how to create a better life for yourself.
Our goal is to rewire your connection to mind, body, and spirit. Use this awareness to shine a light on where you are today. Reflect on what you like and don’t like. Understand what is working and why. To get a sense of what you would like to change, ask yourself the following questions:
- What do I want to my life to look like?
- Am I happy with my body, career, or relationships?
- Do I like my job or school?
- Is there a situation causing stress in my life now?
- Is stress affecting my emotional, mental, or physical body?
- Do I want to learn to meditate, but think it’s too challenging?
- Are there habits I’d like to break?
- Am I living my life to the fullest or do I want to be doing something different?
Once you’ve decided what to concentrate on first, figure out what the next step could be. Consider these:
- Personal. Pay attention to the signs. When I was an adolescent I received signs from above, but was too insecure to believe them. I spent most of my years running and hiding from them until finally, 25 years ago, I realized they were significant for where I was on my path. Embracing those signs as indicators taught me to trust my intuition, to come back to my true self and who I was meant to be.
- Career. Identify one thing that you’d like to change. Research and reach out. Take one step to do something different to encourage the change to occur. For example, if you’re not happy in your job, identify what you can do to make a change. If you’re not sure which field you want to work in, attend a lecture or class to figure out what you could be doing. Do some soul searching to find out what you love or feel passionate about. Be open to the possibilities of what may come to you. What we seek doesn’t always come to us in the way we expect it to. Be open.
- Relationships. If you no longer feel a relationship is growing or if the relationship with your partner is not a reciprocal one, it may be time to make a change. Ask yourself: Why do I continue to stay in the relationship? Perhaps you’re settling because you’re afraid to be lonely. What would I change about my relationship, if I could? Learn what a relationship expert on Rewire Me has to say about it.
- Practice mindfulness. Yoga, meditation, and other mindfulness practices can help us remain calm in the midst of the storm. If you are uncomfortable in your current situation—uncomfortable enough to want to make changes—incorporating a stress-reducing technique into your daily life can help you become clearer about your situation and may help you make better decisions.
- Open your heart. Are you living a life of gratitude? Are you giving in ways that are right for you? Happiness comes from within. When we open our hearts and show others what we are truly made of, they will be there to give us the love and support we need when we need it.
You’ve already lived! You have experiences that you can reframe in your life right now. This is often the first step towards better self-awareness and authenticity. Check back often. Rewire Me’s mission is to help you on your wellness journey.
p.s. We love to hear from you, please keep in touch. Let us know which resources you find helpful and what your struggles are, so we can provide other suggestions and insights.