Today we commemorate the life of Martin Luther King, Jr., a man whose words transformed a nation. His message of love, forgiveness and peace had the power to unite many and inspire change.
Here are my top 10 favorite quotes from Martin Luther King, Jr.:
1. “Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
2. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
3. “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”
4. “We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love….There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.”
5. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. The true neighbor will risk his position, his prestige, and even his life for the welfare of others.”
6. “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’”
7. “We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.”
8. “If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.”
9. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
10. “Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.”
A gifted speaker, Martin Luther King had a way with words that is unmatched—with the ability to evoke emotions and spark change—his message remains just as impactful today as when he was alive.