You may have forgotten to mark it on your calendar, but today’s date is an important one—it’s National Teacher Appreciation Day! Sean McComb was honored as Teacher of the Year by President Obama, but you don’t have to be POTUS to send a note or an email to your child’s teacher, bring some cookies to school, or get in touch with a former teacher to express appreciation for the difference he or she made in your life.
And there are lots of other things we can do to celebrate:
- Tell the world you’re grateful! Thank your favorite teacher on social media using the hashtag #ThankATeacher
- Finance a field trip, buy a box of crayons, or put your favorite books on a library shelf. Donors Choose is a great way to show teachers across America that you care. Even a $5 donation can make a direct impact on a classroom.
- Create a six-second Vine to share the love. Click here to find out how.
- Post a story about your favorite teacher on Rewire Me’s Facebook page or in the comments below.
And after you’ve done your part for National Teacher Appreciation Day, we invite you to read a few articles on Rewire Me about teaching and learning. Here are some suggestions:
- My Amygdala Ate My Homework!
- Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain
- Let’s Celebrate the Gift of Reading!
- Combating Stereotypes in the Classroom
- Mindfulness for Teachers
- 7 Reasons Why Reading to Children Rewires Their Brains for a Better Future
- Dan Inosanto: The Man, the Teacher, the Artist
- Freshman Frenzy