The Rewire Me team is really getting into our Stress Less theme for the month of August. During one of our recent editorial meetings, we started talking about how we stay productive and deal with stress. Some of the ideas were so good I’d like to share them with you:
- Always have a plan. Map out each day’s schedule the night before or first thing in the morning. Include a start time and an end time for each task.
- Do your most dreaded task of the day first. Mark Twain said it better: “If it’s your job to eat a frog, it’s best to do it first thing in the morning.” Everything will seem easy after gulping that down!
- Build in the necessities. Managing the business of life takes time; plan for it. Set aside a designated slot each week for paying the bills, reading school notices, filling out insurance forms, making appointments, and so on.
- Don’t multitask! If you’re writing, just write. If you’re returning emails, just return emails. If you’re taking a break, just take a break. It’s better to get one thing done well than leave three things half-done.
- Unplug. Set aside a chunk of time each day to be offline. Revel in the non-digital!
- Don’t get hung up by minutiae. Sometimes overfocusing on details that aren’t immediate priorities is just a way to distract yourself from what needs your attention now. Learn to recognize the difference.
- Reward yourself after finishing a task you’ve been putting off: Listen to your favorite music, do a crossword puzzle, or enjoy some time outdoors. Doing this on a regular basis helps link annoying tasks to positive moments.
- Schedule time for yourself. Whether it’s taking a bath, getting a massage, or reading a book, build it into your schedule. Otherwise it probably won’t happen.
- Have a good laugh. Talk to fun friend, watch silly cat videos—whatever does it for you. It’s a proven fact that laughter is a great form of stress relief.
- Write in a journal. Describing what’s going on in your life and expressing your emotions can release a lot of tension.
- Exercise. A good workout, or even a short walk, can really lift your spirits and brighten your mood.
- Put your oxygen mask on first. As they tell you on an airplane, make sure you can function before trying to help others around you.
How About You?
How do you stay productive without getting stressed out? Share some of your tips in the comments section below and we’ll put your name in a drawing to win a Rewire Me tote. The winner will be announced on August 30.
Wishing you a stress-free week!