Celebrating the holiday season always makes me nostalgic.
Italian Lemon Knot Cookies (aka Tarallucci in Italian) is simply a drop cookie that has been formed into a “knot”. These tasty cookies are a yummy holiday treat bursting with citrusy-lemon flavor.
I can remember my mom standing in our kitchen during the Christmas season lovingly rolling out the dough. We all loved these cookies and we couldn’t wait until they were finished baking. They are light and airy and soooooo good.
Quick tip: This is a sticky dough, so I have found that refrigerating the dough for one hour makes it easier to manipulate.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 2 lemons organic
- juice of 1 lemon organic
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs until nice and frothy (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add sugar. Continue to whisk until well combined and slightly thickened.
- Add the oil, milk, extract, zest and juice of lemon. Combine well.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until well combined, dough will be soft.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Position rack to middle.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough with medium sized cookie scoop and drop on a floured surface.
- Roll into a 4-inch strand about 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Shape into a concentric circle, with the ends overlapping.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.
- Glaze cookies just before serving.